Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Mind is a Blue Box

Yo-kay!

I really, really wanted to mess up the word 'okay' with 'y.' So I've done that. Yeah!!!

Yesterday, as I was on my way (look at that! all formal and stuff. As I was on my way...) to Hayley's house to pick her up, I started thinking about writing, and Doctor Who. Two things that probably cross my mind every day. I know writing does. I probably think about that more than anything else. Is that bad? Maybe if you're not a writer, but I am, and I'm programmed a certain way to think like that, so....it's not bad for me!

Great! I'm really, really glad that we got that cleared up.
Anyway!
I started thinking about writing and Doctor Who, and how every time I sit down to write, something happens. Sometimes it's just a bunch of bad writing. But sometimes - new ideas, new characters, or great lines show up! And there's usually at least one great line. Sometimes several (in hundreds of really bad lines! Lines, sentences, paragraphs.)

You never know what's going to turn up when you start writing. I am going somewhere with this.

Sitting down to write is like walking into the Tardis. The Doctor never knows what's going to happen when he steps into the Tardis! I mean, roughly. He knows he'll go somewhere, and see great things. Or terrible things. He knows he'll see things. When you sit down to write, you know that words will happen. Assuming that typing happens first. You know you'll write things.

So, I realized, that when I sit down to write, the most appropriate thing to say to...my laptop, fingers, imagination, whatever - (I kind of like comparing my imagination to the Tardis....) - and...where was...? Oh. The most appropriate thing to say to your imagination when you sit down to write is:

"Okay. What have you got for me this time?"

Oh, the wisdom of Matt Smith. BADGER!

And then, when you move on into writing and good things happen, you can talk to yourself some more. "Oh, you sweet, sweet thing, you."

Or you can yell at it and call it names, perhaps adopt River Song's words: "What's wrong with you?"

So...yeah! My mind is a blue box. I like that a lot, actually...

No comments:

Post a Comment