Monday, February 7, 2011

The Doctor = A Bad Person? What?

Okay, so while I was browsing through a Doctor Who blog that I follow pretty regularly, I found this article, listing all the reasons why the Doctor is a bad person.

READ THE ARTICLE HERE IN THE CAPS! NOT LITERALLY, JUST CLICK ON US!

Some of the reasons are stupid - they just make him a poor person, not a bad person.
Other reasons are dealt with on the show.
Other reasons are true.

My take on all of them?

He wouldn't be The Doctor without his faults, because every good character has them. Every good person that actually lives and breathes and exists and has a bank account (the last thing I said is the way I'm distinguishing from characters in books and people in the real world) has faults! In fact, the people in the real world have way more faults than most characters in books. Or TV Shows, as we're technically talking here.

The Doctor wouldn't be nearly as good without his faults! He wouldn't be conflicted! The show would have died a long time ago!

And then whoever wrote the article wouldn't have anything to complain about. I enjoyed reading it, though. Good article, but it's the Doctor. He's not a bad guy. Not anymore than the next character with faults. (Harry Potter has tons of faults. Frodo has tons of faults. And, since Hayley's the only one that reads this blog, and because I'd like to think I'm writing well-developed people, Peter has tons of faults! All the best characters do! But before I sound egotistical here, listing Peter has one of the best characters who isn't even published - all the best characters also have motive, and Peter has a hard time giving me his motives sometimes....)

No comments:

Post a Comment